Saturday, January 31, 2015

For the Birds, Part II (my wild kingdom)

I have been lucky to actually hold a few birds who have lost their way, hit a window, or been rescued from a cat:



This bird flew into our sliding glass door. I found him on the ground after I heard the little thump. Mr.  hummer was pretty bedraggled, but we comforted, warmed, fed and cared for him. After a couple hours, he stood up, stretched his wings, and flew off. I was very happy about that.



A couple weeks ago I was taking a shower and looked out the window. Much to my amazement, there is a hummingbird nest just outside. With momma.



Looking the next few days, I finally saw the nest without the momma. A baby beak was sticking up.



We checked several times every day to make sure things were ok, as this is in a very windy place alongside our house (and picture taken through a screen). The mom was often on the nest, but last Saturday she disappeared. No sign of her - eaten, exhausted, lost?



For 48 hours I didn't see her. How could a baby survive? I called Hummingbird Rescue. A very nice 82-yr old lady came out, walked right up to the nest,



pulled our little chick up by the nose, and proclaimed him healthy and full of insects. She explained that during this phase of hatching the mom fills the baby's crop with bugs, then has a day or more to rest while he slowly digests. It's when they live on nectar that feeding regularly is critical.


As if to reassure me, the mom came back an hour later and got back in the saddle. Sitting on his head.

With my newly-found confidence I was able to walk right over to the nest and point a camera in his face. "Don't worry, be happy." he said.



He's getting a bit tight in the nest now.



Here he is today, saying "Hi www"

No comments:

Post a Comment